Monday, July 21, 2014

Faces of Summer: Garden Prairie grower a lifelong farmers marketer

BELVIDERE — Mary Brubach’s Saturday mornings in the summer have been the same since as long as she can remember.
Mary’s mother, Susie, ran Susie’s Garden Patch in Garden Prairie, and 31-year-old Mary said “for the past 27 or 28 years” they’ve been bringing fresh produce to the Belvidere Farmers Market, which runs from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. each Saturday from early June to late October.
“This is all I’ve known,” Brubach said. “I don’t want to do anything else though. I love to interact with my customers. They know me, and I know them. They’ll tell me stories about how my parents sat me down ‘over there’ while they ran the produce stand.”
Mary’s father died about 18 months ago, and Mary and her husband essentially have taken over the garden patch and now they, along with Susie’s help as well as a part-time college student, sell produce ranging from asparagus to rhubarb at farmers markets on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
“It’s tiring, but it’s fun,” said Brubach, who also likes to shop at other farmers markets, such as Woodstock and Beloit, Wisconsin. “I get to educate people about things they wouldn’t think about because they are used to buying food in stores.”

Read more: http://www.rrstar.com/article/20140721/News/140729921#ixzz38A0hLRTD

No comments: