Friday, July 19, 2013

Former Board Member, Mike Schultz criticizes Bill Pysson’s action on appointments.

For the benefit of all the public I am publishing Mr. Schultz’ email to the members of Boone County Board. 

I believe that Mr. Schultz’ statements incorrectly reflect some of my statements.  Mr. Walberg has a very inconsistent record regarding posting of vacancies, procedures for applicants applying and submission of applications to the county board.

Yes, a minority of the board is complaining. But the sentiment that things are not being done in a reasonable manner is held by much of the public. 

It is up to Mr. Walberg to come up with a reasonable procedure. 

In the case of the District #3 Board position--Submitting a  press release on the 25th of June which cannot be published until Friday, the 28th, requiring that applications be received at the Administrative Office by Sunday, June 30, appears impossible. County offices are closed during the weekend.  Neither the press release nor the vacancy notice for the position was posted on the website. 

Things need to be done in a more professional manner.

BILL PYSSON

Thursday, July 18, 2013 2:26 PM

Dear Members of the County Board:

No longer being a county board member, I was not part of the appointment process that named my replacement to the Boone County Board. That being said, I did follow the appointment process through our local media. I was disappointed to read the recent negative and accusatory comments directed at Chairman Walberg as they related to filing the seat I vacated.

The majority of the criticism I read was voiced by Mr. Bill Pysson. Mr. Pysson criticized the appointment, in part, on the basis the appointee, Mr. Chris Berner, submitted an application prior to the date of my formal resignation. Mr. Pysson went on to infer Mr. Berner was an “insider” (whatever that means). These statements by Mr. Pysson are not support by fact. The timing of my resignation was no secret. I sent each of you and our administrative staff notice in early May of my pending resignation. The Belvidere Daily Republican ran an article quoting my notice on May 8th (an article Mr. Pysson is aware of, as it is posted to his internet blog). Using Mr. Pysson definition of an insider, does he mean every reader and subscriber of the BDR is an “insider”?  If there was additional context to the quotes made by Mr. Pysson that I missed, I stand ready to eat crow (in a non-literal sense).  But, I do not see how, knowing my pending resignation was public record, Mr. Pysson can infer Mr. Berner is an "insider" for submitting a letter of interest prior to my formal resignation.

During my time on the board, the Chairman was criticized by a minority of the board on his appointment procedure. This minority, from my recall, requested that appointments be vetted through interviews by the Administrative Committee. Despite following this procedure, Chairman Walberg is still being criticized for, as Mr. Pysson put it, following “any policy he wishes.” This statement begs the question, exactly what procedure/policy do you feel the Chairman should be following? I have little doubt Chairman Walberg would have been criticized no matter what procedure he followed. For putting Chairman Walberg in a no-win position, I must apologize.

I do not mean this to be a personal attack on Mr. Pysson. That being said, there is no excuse for twisting facts to support what I believe amounts to a witch hunt against the Chairman. Being critical of other board members is vital so that board members hold each other accountable. But, criticism must be based on fact and must be warranted.  From where I sit, I do not see this criticism as being warranted against the Chairman.

I thank each of you for your continued service to Boone County, and I congratulate and wish Mr. Berner much success in serving District 3.

Very Truly Yours,

Mike Schultz (resident of District 2)

No comments: