Large Contingency expenses were budgeted only beginning in 2009. The following is a copy of Mr. Mattison’s email to Township Supervisor Murphy and the legal/accounting advisors.
To: Patrick J. Murphy, Township Supervisor
Keri-Lyn Krafthefer, Township Attorney
Ancel, Glink, Diamond, Bush, DiCianni & Krafthefer, P.C.
Gary Kuhl, Township Auditor
KUHLS & COMPANY
Re: Belvidere Township Budgets - Town Fund Item 01-10-585-00 Contingency
I was encouraged that Belvidere Township invited Township Attorney, Keri-Lyn Krafthefer and Township Auditor Gary Kuhl to the June 26, 2012 to answer questions from the public. Attorney Krafthefer stated at the June 26 meeting the public can ask questions at any public meeting. According to Township Supervisor Pat Murphy the Belvidere Township relies on the advice of Krafthefer and Kuhl extensively to advise them on their annual budget and appropriations. After reviewing annual budgets from the years 2004 through 2013, many items require explanation. Because of Belvidere Township's policy restrictions on Public Comment, I will present questions on specific items one at a time in advance to Supervisor Murphy, the Belvidere Township Trustees, Attorney Krafhefer and Auditor Kuhl to allow sufficient time to provide the logic and answers to the specific areas of concern.
Town Fund Item 01-10-585-00 - Contingency
Budget 2004 - 2005 Budget $1,500.00 Activity $1468.27
Budget 2005 - 2006 Budget $1,500.00 Activity $1381.08
Budget 2006 - 2007 Budget $6,889.13 Activity $1,689.88
Budget 2007 - 2008 Budget $7,191.42 Activity $1,029.14
Budget 2008 - 2009 Budget $4,812.29 Activity $ 667.10
Budget 2009 - 2010 Budget $114,731.64 Activity $1,929.98
Budget 2010 - 2011 Budget $139,393.86 Activity $ 873.60
Budget 2011 - 2012 Budget $178,601.45 Activity $ 49.70
Budget 2012 - 2013 Budget $1,492,489.28
1. What is Belvidere Township's definition of Contingency?
2. Note* After the 2005 - 2006 Budget, expenditures do no relate to the Budget.
3. Note* After the 2008 - 2009 expenditures were only $ 667.10; the Budget for 2009 -2010 was raised to $114,731.64. For what reason?
4. Note* The 2009 - 2010 expenditures were only $1,929.98, yet the Budget for 2010 -2011 was raised to $139,393.86. For what reason?
5. Note* The 2010 - 2011 expenditures were only $873.60, yet the Budget for 2011 - 2012 was again raised to $178,601.45. For what reason?
6. Note* The 2011 - 2012 expenditures were $49.70, and this Contingency Budget was raised to $1,492,489.28 This should be explained.
I respectfully request responses from Patrick Murphy, Supervisor; the Township Trustees; Keri-Lyn Kraftheffer, Township Attorney; and Gary Kuhl, the Township Auditor.
Patrick B. Mattison
For a newspaper account of the meeting in which these and other questions were presented go to: http://www.belvideredailyrepublican.net/news/debate-persists-over-lack-of-input-on-township-budget/