from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Does Sister Margaret McBride belong on this list? Her story at: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126985072
- Eduardo Aguirre, Guatemalan Catholic priest, now bishop of the Brazilian Catholic Apostolic Church.
- Call to Action group members in Nebraska were excommunicated by Bishop Fabian Bruskewitz, with the Vatican later confirming their excommunication.
- Emmanual Milingo, former archbishop of Lusaka, for consecrating four bishops without the papal mandate. Also excommunicated were those receiving consecration.
- The Community of the Lady of All Nations for heretical teachings and beliefs after a six-year investigation. The declaration was announced by the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops on September 12, 2007.
- Rev. Dale Fushek (also laicized by Pope Benedict XVI 02/2010) and Rev. Mark Dippre. Former Priests were issued a Decree of Excommunication by Bishop Thomas J. Olmsted for operating "an opposing ecclesial community" in direct disobedience to orders to refrain from public ministry.
- Father Marek Bozek (since laicized by Pope Benedict XVI), and the lay parish board members of St. Stanislaus Kostka Church in St. Louis, Missouri in December 2005 were declared guilty of the ecclesiastical crime of schism by then-Archbishop Raymond Leo Burke. Their excommunication was ratified by the Vatican in May 2008. (Four of the parish board members have since reconciled with the Church.)
- The Archbishop of Olinda and Recife in Brazil, Jose Cardoso Sobrinho, excommunicated the mother and doctors of a nine year old girl who was raped and impregnated by her stepfather, for having the pregnancy terminated.
- Margaret McBride, a nun excommunicated for allowing an abortion that was medically necessary to save the life of a pregnant woman suffering from pulmonary hypertension.
- Xavier Eubra de Borja excommunicated by Bishop Honesto Ongtioco of the Diocese of Cubao in the Philippines. de Borja untruthfully claimed to be an ordained priest when he was a layman even offering Mass and hearing confessions. The excommunication was declared June 2, 2010 according to UCA News 18 June 2010.
- Rev Vernon Meyer was excommunicated by Bishop Thomas J. Olmsted of Phoenix for participation in the ordination of Elaine Groppenbacher. Meyer was advised of the excommunication on 17 September 2010
- In 2009 Rev Chris Carpenter was also excommunicated by Bishop Olmsted. The excommunication became automatic when Rev Carpenter became affiliated with the 'Reformed Catholic Church.' The bishop's notice to him, the 'decree of excommunication' was the formal declaration of what had alreday happened by virtue of his schismatic act.Full details are given in 'The Catholic Sun' newspaper May 7, 2009.
This list of excommunications is a list of persons excommunicated by the Catholic Church. It includes only excommunications acknowledged or imposed by a decree of the Pope or a bishop in communion with him. Automatic excommunications are not included here if not confirmed by a bishop.